Please contact Managing Editor of the IOTA Forum, Dr. Rob Saler at [email protected] if you have any questions or would like to submit a review. If you see a problem with a review or are the author of a book that has been reviewed and would like to add an Author Response to the review, please email [email protected].
Here is some more information for those interested in reviewing a text:
1). Reviews for the IOTA Forum should be no more than 1,500 words (not including book title, publisher info, and reviewer info). All reviews will be in English.
2). Reviews should plan to address
a). The main arguments of the text in question
b). Why the text/film/conference is of interest to Orthodox intellectuals (ideally both in church and academy)
c). Critical evaluation of the text’s arguments (including potential shortcomings or areas to be explored further by other works)
3). IOTA Forum reserves the right to ask for revisions to reviews submitted (including those solicited by IOTA staff). IOTA staff also reserve the right to decline publishing reviews that do not fulfill the above standards.
4). Footnotes are strongly discouraged and should be kept to an absolute minimum.
5). Because international shipping is generally prohibitively expensive, we request that reviewers procure their own copies of the book they wish to review.
- ISBN: 978-0823284436 Published by Fordham University Press on March 5, 2019 Language: English Pages: 272 The Global Orthodoxy conference of early October 2020 convened Eastern and Oriental Orthodox perspectives to think about the impact of community migration on identity formation …Read More
- ISBN: 9780300246223 Published by Yale University Press on September 24, 2019 Language: English Pages: 232 The following is a response to David Bentley Hart’s book That All Shall Be Saved and the subsequent excellent reviews by Fr. Michael Plekon and …Read More
- ISBN: 978-5-89647-390-9 Published by St. Andrew’s Biblical Theological Institute (Moscow) on March 2, 2020 Language: Russian Pages: xxxviii + 658 The publication of Oleg Davydov’s book The Revelation of Love: The Trinitarian Truth of Being [Откровение Любви: тринитарная истина бытия] …Read More
- Managing Director’s Note: Terrence Malick is widely regarded as one of the most theologically sensitive and contemplative filmmakers of our time, and such films as his Tree of Life have already been the subject of theological as well as cinematographic …Read More
- ISBN: 978-0520297982 Published by University of California Press on November 20, 2018 Language: English Pages: 316 Orthodox Christianity, in its various global formations, has two features that are rarely brought together in thoughtful, intersectional consideration: saints as transtemporal mediators and …Read More
Michael Plekon, The World as Sacrament: An Ecumenical Path toward a Worldly Spirituality, reviewed by Adam DeVilleby Michael P. Plekon ISBN: 978-0814645567 Published by Liturgical Press on March 24, 2017 Language: English Pages: 272 A new book by Michael Plekon is always a welcome event. I have often continued to think about, return to, and recommend …Read More
Christina Nellist’s Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Animal Suffering, reviewed by Nikolaos AsproulisISBN: 978-1527541269 Published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing on January 1, 2020 Language: English Pages: 436 Due to its strong liturgical, or rather meta-historical vision, the Orthodox Church often expresses an ambiguity towards its engagement with historical and social affairs, focusing …Read More
- ISBN: 978-1635511000 Published by St. Nicholas Press on January 1, 2020 Language: English Pages: 748 Timothy Patitsas, who teaches ethics at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, MA, has written a genuinely massive tome (748 pages). However, …Read More
Carrie Frederick Frost, Maternal Body: A Theology of Incarnation from the Christian East, reviewed by Helen Creticos Theodoropoulosby Carrie Frederick Frost ISBN: 978-0809153916 Published by Paulist Press on May 28, 2019 Language: English Pages: 107 Over the course of Christian history, innumerable sermons, theological treatises, scholarly studies, dogmatic declarations, and sacred hymns and icons have confessed, celebrated …Read More
- “Chastity, Purity, Integrity: Orthodox Anthropology and Secular Culture in the 21st Century” Holy Trinity Seminary, Jordanville, New York, USA, March 7-9, 2019 “Speaking the Truth in Love: A Conference Addressing Sexuality and the Human Being” St. Tikhon’s Seminary, South Canaan, …Read More